what is a mental health day?
Looking through the internet has revealed several definitions but I found the best one to be; Definition of mental health day – A day taken off work or school for rest or recuperation.
This has been one of the hardest semesters I have had to sit and it didn’t help that my support system, my academic support system that is [which for school is the most important] was lacking. Because of this, I had been having a very hard time. I don’t know how many of you feel like when your school life seems to be going up in flames then your life in general is going up in flames even when other things in your life seem relatively successful. Well, perhaps its overreacting but I don’t think so ofcourse. I’m a scholar, school has always been and will always be the most important aspect of my life.
Okay, where was I going with this, right… so I was having a really hard time and everything seemed to be moving too fast for me to catch my breath and come up with a plan and I feel like this happens to us all the time. Sometimes our lives feel like this crazy rollercoaster ride that we just can’t get off of. Well, that’s where we are wrong.
A lot of the time I have heard girls crying in the bathroom and some of those times I’m the girl crying in the bathroom because sometimes it’s all too much. Especially when we have set extremely high standards for ourselves. This is in no way to say that the standards should be lowered, the standards must remain sky high if we are to grow as individuals have any chance at all at achieving excellence. So here is my point;
- It’s okay to be the girl crying in the bathroom because sometimes life is a lot and we have to take time to process. Sometimes we do that through crying and that’s ok.
- You can get off the ride. And that’s my main point today. Turns out that’s all I needed to stop feeling the way I was. I felt like screaming all the time because it felt like someone was telling me that I couldn’t take time to process it all, it felt like someone was preventing me from catching my breath and being someone who thrives off planning I was losing my mind. All that brought me to the greatest thing thus far; THE MENTAL HEALTH DAY.
I have hence decided that the mental health day is a day for you to catch your breath and get your shit together. It’s a day for you to look at your situation whatever that may be, agree that it’s f**ked up and that it’s okay to have f**ked up situations every now and then and that everything will be ok. Then you come up with a kick-ass plan and get back into the ring. And when it all gets to be too much again, take a timeout, after all no one is counting. Just keep in mind that you don’t have to stay on the ride until you pass out. There are no prices for those who stay on the longest.
You don’t have to wait until you can’t breathe. I shouldn’t be talking you into taking a mental health day, this should be something you want for yourself. A mental health day is a way to take care of yourself it’s a way to be kind to yourself, but if you need further convincing then here are a couple more reasons why you should take a mental health day;
- It helps with stress
- It gives you time to strategize
- Allows you time to process the situation
- Increase your productivity
- It helps you prioritize
- Allows you time to relax and take care of yourself
- It rejuvenates your brain and general outlook on the situation/life
- Allows us to get out of our heads and look at the situation objectively
- It provides fresh perspective